So Long, My Loyal Friend


13 years ago we went to the Humane Society just to "look around". I was not planning on bringing home a dog that day, but the Universe had other ideas.

As soon as she saw him, Dawn stopped and said, "that's our dog!" The kids and I were unsure, but Dawn was adamant. She'd had dreams about him and recognized him the moment she saw him.

Needless to say, he came home with is that day.

Bosco was the name given to him at the Humane society, and since he was used to it, we opted to keep it. It seemed to fit him

In so many ways, he was the perfect dog. He was smart as hell, and highly protective of his pack. I never worried about the house when he was home, and I knew that the girls were safe in the yard, or on the streets if he was with them.

Of course, he wasn't without flaws.

In his younger days he was a runner. If he got out the door, he was off to galavant.

The trash can was never safe around him. For him it was a wondrous thing, filled with treats that were only found after the contents gleefully strewn about the house.

He hated to get wet, and was so prissy he would go to the bathroom on the sidewalk rather than get his paws wet in the grass.

He was sensitive to additives in dog foods, and thus had to have the most expensive brand or he'd break out in a rash. In spite of this, there were never any ill effects from the trash, or either of the two birds he ate whole.

My favorite times with him were out in the back yard. Whether it was yard work, the girlies in the pool, or grilling dinner, Bosco loved to be outside. He was always on high alert, ready to chase out any squirrels, birds, cats, and a duck that was very lost.

One memorable night he was even ready to take on a possum! He had it cornered back by the garage, and it was perched on top of the fence, hissing at him.  I had to actually pick Bosco up and carry him back into the house.

Over the last year, I've known that the end was coming. He's no longer able to go up and down the stairs. He has a hard time eating and drinking, and he's lost at least a third of his body weight. He still perks up his ears when he knows I'm going outside, but he doesn't usually do more than look longingly at the door without getting up. When he does go out he gets tired quickly, and wants to go back in quickly.

Today we're taking him to the vet to leave on his final journey. I'll be right there with him as he leaves, so that the last thing he sees is me.

Goodbye, my friend.

5 comments:

Adventures in the Workplace said...

I am so sorry. I am thinking of you and your family on this saddest of days. xxx

JC Brimmer said...

Always sucks to lose a dog, I feel your loss.

Unknown said...

They're part of the family. It hurts when they're gone. Sorry for your loss.

Cinder Runner said...

So sorry. It's so heartbreaking to let them go. Peace, love aged healing to you and yours. Run free, Bosco.

Phyllis Morrissett-Hockenberry said...

So sorry. We sent 2 of our best friends to the rainbow bridge earlier this year. It gets no easier...I am so sorry for you and your family .